Georgia State is committed to making it easier for campus members to choose more environmentally friendly modes of transportation. As a GSU faculty member, staff or student, you are able to take advantage of public transportation discounts, free bicycle rentals, electric vehicle charging and ZipCar discounts.
Biking Around Campus
In 2013, Georgia State was awarded a technical assistance grant by the Atlanta Regional Commission for a campus-wide bicycle plan, keeping with the university’s strong bicycling culture. The university has also been given a Blinkie Award by the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition.
For campus members who do not have their own bikes, the university offers free bike rentals through our Touch the Earth program housed below the Student Recreation Center. They also offer basic bike services. You can also take advantage of the City of Atlanta’s new Relay bike share program which has stations conveniently located around campus. Click here for Relay pricing information.
If you are looking for places to park or store your bicycle while you are in a class or meeting, take a look at the interactive bike rack map created by Central Atlanta Progress for Downtown Atlanta.
Traveling between campuses for meetings? Visit one of our ZipCar locations on all Perimeter College campuses and the downtown campus at the Commons, Piedmont North Residence Hall, M Deck and G Deck.
Perks of a ZipCar university account:
- Saves your department time and money – pay only when your team drives (aside from each driver’s annual membership fee)
- Gives your teammates 24/7, self-service access to cars parked near your office, in cities around the world, and now at many major airports
- Provides wheels at work, by the hour or day
- Simplifies expense reporting with transparent, paperless billing
- A waived application fee for each member (typically $25)
- A waived account set up fee (typically $75)
- There are no monthly/annual corporate contracts or usage commitments, and the annual fee per member is only $25 (typically $70)
- Hourly rates start at $5.50 (rates vary by area – rates may be higher in certain areas)
- All rates include insurance coverage, gas, and 180 miles per day
Find out more here.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Georgia State offers convenient ChargePoint charging stations across campus. Campus members can charge their electric vehicles for the low price of $1 for the first four hours. To find a charger near you, check out this map or download the ChargePoint mobile app where you can also check on station availability in real-time.
Discounts for Public Transportation
Students, faculty and staff who wish to purchase a GSU discounted monthly MARTA pass will need to visit the customer service area at Campus Services and obtain a MARTA Breeze card. By purchasing through the university, students are able to purchase a monthly MARTA pass for only $61 before the 15th of each month, while faculty and staff can receive a discounted rate of $77 before the 15th of each month and can also take advantage of MARTA discounts by signing up through payroll deduction. To find out more, click here.
GRTA service runs Monday-Friday during peak commuting times and each GRTA route serves at least one MARTA station. Monthly discounted rates are available through Georgia State. Check out this GRTA Georgia State campus bus stop and route map to see which route works best for you. To purchase a discounted 31 day pass, visit the Campus Services customer service windows located on the second floor of the University Bookstore Building.