Become an Intern
Communications and Marketing
• Create content for the Green Scene newsletter, signage, social media and website.
• Write grants and proposals.
• Develop methods of engaging the Georgia State student body.
• Plan events such as the Earth Week Festival and Sustainability Speaker Series.
• Assist departments in the green office certification process.
• Guide departments in implementing suggested practices.
Energy and Water Conservation
• Retrieve and organize data.
• Identify trends or patterns within data.
• Streamline data.
• Create visualizations of data for meaningful presentations.
Piedmont North Recycling
• Host three recycling educational events a year in your designated building.
• Place flyers and submit digital signage.
• Inform students of the correct recycling procedures and materials.
• Walk through the facility to prevent bin overflows.
• Empty bins and collect recycling from every floor.
• Take collected recycling down to designated area.
• Calculate monthly metrics for waste and all materials diverted from landfill.
• Manage hard-to-recycle drives on all Georgia State campuses.
• Aid in the annual America Recycles Day celebration and Recyclemania competition.
• Conduct waste audits.
Although student interns have specific assignments, they will also be given an opportunity to work on their own project or research as they create a final deliverable at the end of their internship. Additionally, all student interns, regardless of role, assist with campus recycling center operations, game day recycling and the Earth Week festival.
- Panther Food Recovery Network
- Student Environmental Team
- Touch the Earth
University Senate Sustainability Committee
The University Senate Sustainability Committee advises and makes recommendations to the University Senate and appropriate administrators regarding issues of sustainability. The committee provides a central focus for integration of academic programs, facility planning and campus operating interests in sustainability. The committee also recommends and supports efforts to improve environmental stewardship and sustainability in facility planning and operations, as well as supporting sustainability as part of ongoing education, research, operations and outreach programs.
Staff Council Campus Sustainability Committee
The Campus Sustainability Committee works to enhance the quality of life on campus for Georgia State employees and students by focusing on the university’s impact on the local and global environment. The committee promotes sustainable business practices such as water and energy conservation, recycling, energy-efficient transportation, green building and landscape design, and related areas of university operations as appropriate. The committee also contributes to the development and maintenance of campus wide networks of students, faculty and staff focused on resource conservation, sustainable business practices, sustainable procurement policies and related issues.
Green Scene Newsletter
Sustainability Speaker Series
The Sustainability Speaker Series encourages students, faculty, staff and community members to gain knowledge and perspective on sustainability issues. Through a lunch-and-learn setting, speakers and attendees harbor discussion in a relaxed atmosphere. Experts from the corporate and non-profit sectors, researchers, faculty and policy-makers in the field of sustainability discuss their work, answer questions and network with students.
Sustainability Initiatives partners with PantherDining to utilize resources already in place to promote sustainability at Georgia State and foster an engaged university community. Passionate speakers and students can boost interest in sustainability practices, research, internships and careers, all while meeting fresh faces and new ideas.